Sins of the Flesh

Bring on the Men!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Forum rp - help

Go down 
AuthorMessage
QuietScribe
Sinfully Delicious

PostSubject: Forum rp - help   Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Ok, im here to admit that I am finding it really kinda difficult to do a forum rp.

All the chopping and changing between posts that are all meant to be in the same room (good grief, we have about 6 posts all involving the initial entrance in the dining room, where everyone is actually in the same dining room at the same time) is really doing my head in. This is partially because I am slightly obsessive about keeping records of the rps I am in, and having such a vast array of posts means having to save each one or update one whenever someone posts. We are only at the beginning of the forum and already it has become a stress rather than a pleasure. The simple response to many I am sure would be to stop keeping the records. I really can't do that, as writing means so much to me, and the potential of losing some of it bothers me a lot.

However, I do not wish to give up on the forum, so I have come to the conclusion that in order to still rp here, and minimise the stress of record keeping, I am going to limit my characters to one area unless the rp is done (and then subsequently posted) from messenger chat format where I find it much easier to feel the flow of the rp.

I would like to invest more into my characters, and am much better at one-on-one rps that don't skip from one post to another, like the posts myself and Dark did in the library.

So.. in terms of my characters, here is how things currently stand:
Michael York (vampire) will be in the library, and will not post anywhere else.
Duncan (mini dragon)I will leave to flit around a bit. He is not truly important to me, so I will not be keeping records of him. He is really a combination of two characters I have played in the past, and I have records of those.
Ash (fae) I have not decided what to do about him yet. He was brought in from a rp I was doing with Blackwulff. No one has really shown much of an interest in him yet, so he may just dissapear from here unless someone wants to take him on story wise, in which case thats fine, but you will have to let me know.
Kevin Bishop (human) Again, after a brief introduction to Darcy, only Blackwulff has shown much interest in him. I am perfectly happy for him to be kidnapped, experimented on, changed, sexually tormented and anything else devious you can think of, heck.. even befriended. If people want to rp with him, that's cool. I don't mind as long as it doesn't go from post to post.

So yeah, that's where I stand at the moment. I figure it was better to post here, and let people know, rather than just disappearing from the forum. Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith
A Little Sinful

PostSubject: Re: Forum rp - help   Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:56 pm

It looked like you were actually getting the hang of things to be honest, though you were jumping around just a little too much. Usually in these you just take note ofyour own thread wth your character. The others are just there for your enjoyment. I myself usually don't have more than one character - unless you count NPCs, but I really enjoyed what you were doing. Very orderly and not all over the place at all.

Most forum RP is not like this. You usually have one thread that has an entire storyline with all the characters - what we're doing is more challenging than the other.

As per your decision, however, Im afraid that my characters won't be able to interact at all with yours. My timezone being what it is, its hardly a common thing if we happen to be online at the same moment. Partly why I prefer forum rping cos I've almost never met an aussie that RPs.

So, I'm not avoiding your characters, but perhaps ifyou want we can do PM rp and you can post that up? Either way - sorry i can''t do anything in chat. I really your charries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://illusionvale.forumotion.com
Dark
Sinfully Delicious

PostSubject: Re: Forum rp - help   Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:25 pm

I've found the trick with forum RP is to leave an opening for others to jump in, a hook, if you will. Once you get folks talking, it's just a matter of waiting for the next post and deciding how to respond, like you and I did.

Most problems (I've noticed) stem from lack of direction. If there's nothing to tie the chars together, they won't. Why? Many reasons. Right now it's slow because there's no overarching plot line that everyone can identify with. Blackwulf (poke poke) said there would be an announcement soon about moving our chars to the dorms to start the next day, so we'll get to pick up the pace then.

I'm bad about inventing things when I get bored, or if I feel that we're just milling about without a guideline. I've been smacked for it more than once, Blackwulf knows this and I'm doing my best, but I also prefer organization to a bunch of random threads, which is why I set up the Water/Wind dorms the way I did. It's also why I'm obsessive about linking. Readers can follow the story better that way (I feel) and makes it more linear.

There's both kinds of forum RPs here, as Autruna mentioned. The University is kind of an overarching idea and is more loose, whereas the other 'rooms' within the forums are more rigid. The different styles appeal to different people. Not everyone is going to like both, so don't worry too much about it if it's not your thing.

If you'd like to try out the other style, I'd be happy to let you play with an NPC or create a new char in my sci-fi thread. We're at a good point for someone to hop in. You can always leave later if you don't care for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://yaoi.y-gallery.net/user/arctikfrog/
QuietScribe
Sinfully Delicious

PostSubject: Re: Forum rp - help   Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Quote :
If you'd like to try out the other style, I'd be happy to let you play with an NPC or create a new char in my sci-fi thread. We're at a good point for someone to hop in. You can always leave later if you don't care for it.

Thanks, but I really don't like sci-fi at all otherwise I would have tried it. Fantasy, fantasy realism from modern to anytime in the past is generally what I stick to. Elves to vampires, humans to dragons. Sci-fi has never really appealed to me. Thanks for the offer though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dark
Sinfully Delicious

PostSubject: Re: Forum rp - help   Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:35 am

*shrugs* It's the only one we got at the moment. When another pops up, maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://yaoi.y-gallery.net/user/arctikfrog/
Autruna
Black Lady of Evil

PostSubject: Re: Forum rp - help   Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:17 am

Yeah the jumping thread to thread isn't my favorite part about this style of RP. XD And I really should finish my introduction posts and get them up there. I'm probably just going to squeeze Corin into Caden's intro, just because I'm lazy and don't want to write two intro posts.

And, on a side note, I really need to get Fede's profile worked out, cause I still wanna join your RP Dark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/clary_thesaneone
Wraith
A Little Sinful

PostSubject: Re: Forum rp - help   Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:47 pm

Well, if you'd really like to do something with fantasy in a forum environment. I'm sure I could whip something up. I'm much more into fantasy myself too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://illusionvale.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum rp - help   

Back to top Go down

Forum rp - help
Page 1 of 1